Updated - Saturday Nov. 22nd - 2:30 p.m.
Sault Ste. Marie
- Saturday: +2
- Sunday: +7 - rain
- Saturday: +2
- Sunday: +6 - rain
Domtar / Gong Lake
- Saturday: 0
- Sunday: +4 - rain
Saturday Signage Day - Thank You Volunteers
Thank you to all who braved the deep snow and came out to help us get some of the signage projects done on what turned out to be a beautiful day. Despite the lack of sleep, Shawn Greenwood was well prepared which made the volunteers tasks much easier. We were also treated to Effie's chili dogs back at the club house. Thank you to both Ray and Effie for putting on such a great lunch. Check out the website for pictures!
To the volunteers - THANK YOU!
- Shawn Greenwood
- Garnet Greenwood
- Ray and Effie Lavallee
- Travis Hall
- Alex Schulz
- Nick LaFranco
- Steven Whelan
- Marcos Reyes
- Bobby McKee
- Bill & Maria Dalton
- Tim and Karen Donnelly
- Mike Brassard
- Carson Fischer
We were also joined by the chainsaw gang and their teacher Dan See, who all enjoyed lunch with us before heading out to Heyden to cut up John's firewood! Well done everyone. We are one step closer to being ready to groom.
- John Breckenridge
- Greg Long
- Dan See
- Mike Chevrier
- Samantha Nolan
- Tyson Breckenridge
Nov. 12th Meeting - From Karen Donnelly
Here are the highlights of the last meeting.
1.) Grooming and trails
- Tires for the BR's have gone up in price considerably and Greg is trying to find another source as we need five of them
- New groomer operator - Samantha Nolan
- Dumas bridge - if removed we will have to reroute trail.
- A big washout on the Hult road that we may be able to fill with snow
- New grooming log that will take some review
- Greg will not be operating this year and is looking for new operators
- CHAINSAW COURSE - mandatory for our operators but there is space for others - only $50 (half price) and it is this Saturday at Construction Equipment at 9am. Let me know if you would like to attend. Four hour course, lunch at the club house and then out to Heyden to practice.
- With this heavy snow - trees and branches are coming down on the trails - be careful
- Brushing on the Mashagama trail should be completed this weekend - if he can still get in there!
- This Saturday 10 am at the club house. We will be putting up the snow fence at Vanderloos and what ever other projects we can complete - depending on volunteer turn out. The Lavallees will be serving up lunch at the club house so come and join us!
- Our dedicated director Shawn Greenwood - who is in charge of signage this year - is in need of some help. Work is prohibiting him from getting everything done that needs to be done and we can't open our trails until the signage is complete. If you can help out - please let me know and I will pass your name on to Shawn.
- Out to 4 retails plus the club house. Online sales up over 30% on last year.
4.) Small Equipment
- Thank you to Rick Nisbet for fixing up the four chainsaws that needed attention
- Three Live webcams are up and operational - check it out!
- Dan is doing a fabulous job of keeping the website up to date so if you are looking for current information - that is the place to go.
5.) Trail Patrollers
Trail PAtrollers are now being dubbed "Ambassadors" and are responsible for welcoming riders to our trails and encouraging anyone not riding with a permit to purchase one. Garnet and Shawn are our only two Ambassadors at the moment and are looking for new recruits. Please let me know if you are interested.
6.) Driver Training
- Paper work on two new trainers has been submitted, two more are expected shortly. Once trained - we will set up a course.
- There is a course coming up in Echo Bay on Saturday November 22nd
7.) Social - Schedule attached
- Santa Parade Float - volunteers are asked to meet at Maple Leaf Motors at 12noon on Saturday November 22nd to help with float decoration
- Christmas Party - Wednesday December 10th at 6pm at Ginos. Three meals to choose from, gift exchange (limit $10) and again
- they are allowing each of us to bring in a small amount of baking for dessert
- Bon Fire Ride - Wednesday January 28th
- Overnight ride to Dunlop Lake Lodge Saturday January 31st - contact me for details
- Snowarama - Saturday February 7 - help needed at warm up station at end of Robertson Lake Road
- Bon Soo - Sunday February 8th - Riders, sleds and volunteers to help helmets needed
- Trailside BBQ - Sunday February 15th - helpers needed
- Dinner ride to the Longs in Goulais - Wednesday February 25th.
- Dates still to be determined for Poker run, additional day and night rides, second overnight ride?
- Greyhound group tickets available - should we book a date - let me know if you are interested
- Tracks and Trails - pamphlets brought in by Mike Walz. Possibly the last year that we can take our sleds on the train. Let me know if you would be interested so that we could make a booking.
Other news - congratulations to Al and Sara Tourigny who are expecting their second child, a son, in January!
Seasonal Trail Passes Now Available Locally
Seasonal Permits are now availlable at:
- Hi-Way Variety
- RiverCity MotorSports
- Premier Yamaha
- Goulais River Country Store
- Sault Trailblazers Office (Seasonals and Classics)
- Clubhouse Office open Thu-Fri-Sat 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Call: 705 759-0023
*** NOTE: 3 and 7 Day Passes can only be purchased Online via the OFSC website this year. Clubs and local retailers will not have them.
Club Christmas Party - Wed. Dec. 10th
This year's upcoming Christmas Party is scheduled for Wednesday December 10th and will be held at Gino's Family Restaurant. Start time is 6 p.m. There will be a choice of three meals this year and all include unlimited salad and bread. Menu selection includes: #1. Chicken Parm with roast potatoes and vegetable OR #2. 1/2 rack ribs with penne OR #3. Veal Scaloppini with spaghetti. Tickets can be purchased at the next meeting or by contacting Karen Donnelly at Karen.Donnelly@Sympatico.ca. Price is $20 for members, $25 for non members. We will be doing the gift exchange again this year and gifts are limited to $10. One gift per person attending.
** UPDATED ** Driver Training - Echo Bay
The next regional Driver Training session is November 22nd in Echo Bay and is being hosted by the Echo Bay Snow Falcons. For more information, please call (705) 248-1166 to register.
Black Creek Outfitters - December Special
Book Two Nights at Black Creek Outfitters, receive one night FREE!!!!!!!!! Details: $200.00 for two nights for two people, third night free!. Each cabin includes Hot & Cold Running water, Refrigerator, stove and propane heater. Cabins 2,3 & 4 have three piece bathrooms included. $50 per extra person per night, $7 per pet per night Valid from November 30th - December 31st checkout http://www.blackcreekoutfitters.ca/ for pictures and more details about each cabin or call 705 841-2555 and chat with Jean, Don and Donnie.
Assistance is always welcome in the Trailblazers Shop on Old Garden River Road. Groomers are being prepared for the 2014 / 15 season and volunteers with mechanical skills are needed. If you wish to help, please contact John Breckenridge at email@example.com or call the Clubhouse at 705 759-0023 and leave a message.
Heyden - Fuel
Will Heyden be getting fuel again? Not to start rumours, but, there's work going on at the former Esso Station on the corner of highway 17 and the Searchmont Highway. This could be welcome news!
A new addition for riders for 2014 / 15 is MountainView Lodge. Located on the Searchmont highway at Northland, this very picturesque lodge will be open for both food and accommodations. Brennan and crew have a trail available that comes in from the Ranger Lake road at the Glendale / ACR tracks intersection. They can be reached at 705 781-3329.
Blueberry Hill Motel - Goulais
Blueberry Hill will be open for business as usual this winter. They offer room rentals, campsites and their property as a Staging location. Breakfast is included with room rentals. Please feel free to contact Diane and Staff for more information. They are available at 705 649 5631.
One More Gas Station Closed
Goulais River is unfortunately down to 2 fuel stations. Regretfully, the Goulais River General Store, located on highway 552 west recently closed, therefore no more fuel. However, Goulais River Country Store on Highway 17 and Timberland also on Highway 17 have fuel.
The club has been informed that Halfway Haven will not be open this winter, therefore, no groomed trail on the top section of the Ranger N/W and Powerline. The Whitman / Domtar trails will be groomed and not affected.
4th Meeting of Season - Wed. Nov. 26th
The Club will be holding the 4th general meeting of the season on Wednesday November 26th at 7 p.m at Gino's Family Restaurant. Everyone is welcome and is open
to the general public.
2015 Season permits are now on sale locally at the Clubhouse or online via the OFSC website. Cost is $210 until December 1st. Price goes up
after December 1st to $260.
Trailblazette Newsletter - Oct 2014
For your enjoyable reading pleasure, the first edition of the Trailblazette for 2015 is now available for download from this website and is located in the News and Info section. A huge thank you to Shawn Greenwood for taking the lead in preparing another great edition of the newsletter. Readers always look forward to the Trailblazette. Very much appreciated Shawn.
Roxy's Lakeside Grill - Haviland
Once the trails are open, Roxy's is offering 10% off any meal to snowmobilers. Roxy's is also offering their parking lot this winter as a Staging area for those who wish to launch from Haviland. Fuel is also available 2 doors over from Roxy's. For more information, please contact Dave, Roxanne and Staff at 705 649-5912.
Shuttle Service - Catalina Motel
Catalina Motel, in Sault Ste. Marie, is once again offering snowmobile train tour packages and shuttle service to and from the staging area. Catalina Motel also provides International Sled Shuttle service into and out of United States via International Bridge. For additonal information, please contact Dean at (705) 945-9260.
Good News! Searchmont now has a store. No fuel at this time though.
Please call the Clubhouse at 705 759-0023 to get your name on the list for Driver Training, leave a message if you are not able to reach the staff. Our first training course date will be announced this fall.
Fuel Availability - November 2014
Fuel is available in Goulais, Haviland, Black Creek, Airport Road, Sault Ste. Marie, Echo Bay and Bruce Mines. There is no fuel available in Heyden or Searchmont at this time. Please plan your trips with fuel availability in-mind.
Goulais to Searchmont is 36 kms (22.5 miles). Searchmont to Black Creek Outfitters is 150 kms (94 miles), Therefore, Goulais to Black Creek Outfitters is 186 kms (116.5 miles), Please plan your trips with fuel supply and availability in-mind.
Join the Club
Are you interesting in joining the club.
The fee is $10 per year per family. Please email us: firstname.lastname@example.org or come out to the next meeting on Wed. Nov. 12th at Gino's Family Restaurant at 7 pm.